Cheers to Valentine’s Day!
Posted by NoraTuesday February 14, 2012
Today will be a little bit different from the past twenty Valentine’s Days I have lived. This is my 21st Valentine’s day, which means it’s the first one in which I can have my very own Valentine cocktail!
Now, I’m not saying I’m going to get sloshed tonight. That might worry my boyfriend. And I have class tomorrow. But I am going to make a fabulous, colorful, shaken up, garnished-to-the-max, amazing cocktail to celebrate. Now I can waltz in the liquor store myself, pick up a laundry list of ingredients for fancy drinks, chat up an employee for some advice, and hand over my ID with confidence.
For this special occasion, I’m going to try The Bruja Smash from A.J. Rathbun’s The Ginger Bliss and the Violet Fizz. It has the perfect amount of visual appeal and incorporates some of my favorite flavors, like raspberry, mint, and lemon. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone, bottoms up!
Recipe: The Bruja Smash
- Crushed ice
- 7 fresh mint leaces
- 7 fresh raspberries
- 1½ ounces white tequila
- 1 ounce Strega
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
- 1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with crushed ice. Add the mint leaves, raspberries, tequila, Strega, and lemon juice. Shake really well.
- 2. Dump the contents of the shaker (no straining here) into a large tulip-style beer glass or other good-sized pretty vessel.
- 3. Fill the glass with crushed ice, garnish with the mint sprig, and serve with a straw.