Recipe: Cinnamon Coffee Cake Mix
From Desserts in Jars by Shaina Olmanson
Summary: A good cinnamon coffee cake is not to be messed with. It’s the perfect accompaniment to that first cup of java in the morning, and your friends will be grateful when you make its preparation as easy as mixing it and popping it in the oven.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cinnamon chips
- 1 cup sugar
- Vanilla bean seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean pod
- ½ cup chopped pecans
Makes 1 jar of cake mix, to yield one 9-inch-square cake
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Place in a 1-quart jar. Top with a layer of cinnamon chips.
- Mix together the sugar and the vanilla bean seeds and add as a layer in the jar. Top with the chopped pecans. Seal with the lid, decorate the jar if you like, and attach a label with these instructions for the recipient:
TO MAKE CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup whole milk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. Mix together the butter, eggs, and yogurt in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in all the contents of the jar, then slowly stir in the milk. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
View and share the Desserts in Jars book trailer!