Patate e Funghi al FornoTuesday December 4, 2012
Recipe: “Patate e Funghi al Forno” – Oven-baked Potatoes and Mushrooms
Summary: This guileless dish from the cookery of Apulia in southern Italy demonstrates the culinary conceptions that result from combining simple, local ingredients and meeting the demands of the population for a certain taste. And, of course, this baked dish is a very logical accompaniment to an earthy roast lamb.
- 1½ pounds potatoes, peeled, washed, sliced 1⁄4inch thick, and dried with paper towels
- 1 pound portobello or cremini mushrooms, stems removed or trimmed, sliced
- 1½ cups crumbled stale French or Italian round bread
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 6 to 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Arrange a layer of potato slices in a lightly oiled 12 x 9-inch baking dish. Mix together the mushrooms, crumbled bread, parsley, salt, pepper, and pecorino cheese in a medium bowl. Spread this mixture over the potatoes and then place the remaining potato slices on top. Pour the olive oil over everything and bake until the top potatoes are golden brown, 55 to 60 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 4-6