Recipe: Red Candied Apples
Summary: This is an old-fashioned fall treat—whole apples dipped into a cinnamon-flavored red candy syrup, which dries to a crispy coating.
- -9 medium-size red-skinned apples, such as McIntosh, Jonathan, or Red Delicious
- -9 wooden craft or Popsicle-style sticks
- -1 cup sugar
- -1⁄3 cup water
- -1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- -1⁄4 cup tiny, hard, red cinnamon candies, such as Red Hots
- 1. Rinse and dry the apples. Insert a stick through the bottom up to the center of each apple and push about 2 inches into the core. Set aside. Line two baking sheets with waxed paper and set aside.
- 2. Combine the sugar, water, corn syrup, and cinnamon candies in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and continue to boil until the mixture reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer, the hard-crack stage (when a drop of the hot syrup makes a hard crack when dropped into a glass...
Recipe: Smoked Chicken Sandwich with Summer Confetti
Summary: If the previous sandwich was country singer Tim McGraw, this would be Faith Hill— closely related, but this one’s definitely prettier, with a more elegant appearance. It resembles a summer garden, with its bright bits of herbs, tomato, onion, and peppers.
- Confetti Paste:
- •2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- •1 tablespoon brine from a jar of peperoncini peppers
- •1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- •1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- •2 garlic cloves, minced
- •3⁄ 4 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- •6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- Salad Topping:
- •1 small red-ripe tomato, chopped
- •2 ⁄ 3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- •1⁄ 3 cup minced red onion
- •2 to 3 tablespoons chopped peperoncini peppers
- •2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- •2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- •2 tablespoons olive oil
- •1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- •Pinch of kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- •6 slices provolone cheese
- •12 large slices sturdy sourdough bread or other good sandwich bread
- 1. At least 2 hours and up to...
Recipe: Mango and Avocado Salad
Summary: This duo mates particularly well with tropically inspired main dishes.
- Celery Seed Dressing:
- •1⁄ 4 cup sugar
- •1⁄ 4 cup honey
- •1⁄ 4 cup white vinegar
- •2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- •2 teaspoons grated onion
- •1 teaspoon dry mustard
- •1 teaspoon paprika
- •1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon table salt
- •1 cup vegetable oil
- •2 tablespoons celery seeds
- •Shredded red cabbage
- •3 ripe mangoes, sliced
- •3 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1. In a food processor or blender, combine all the dressing ingredients except the oil and celery seeds. Pour in the oil and continue processing until the dressing is thick and well blended. Spoon in the celery seeds and process just until incorporated.
- 2. Make a bed of shredded cabbage on a serving platter. Arrange the mangoes and avocados decoratively on the cabbage. Drizzle some dressing over the salad and serve the salad with the remaining dressing on the side.
- 3. The dressing keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks...
Recipe: Smoked Albacore–Potato Salad
Summary: A West Coast favorite for smoking, albacore brims with fish oils that flavor it richly. We use it more frequently for smoking than the more delicate yellowfin tuna.
- Roasted Garlic Mash:
- •1 whole head of garlic
- •1 tablespoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- •1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- •10-ounce albacore steak or other tuna steak
- •White wine vinegar
- Dill Vinaigrette:
- •1 ⁄ 2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- •2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- •2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- •2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- •Kosher salt or coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- •1 1 ⁄ 2 pounds small potatoes, halved or neatly chunked if larger than bite-size, steamed until tender, and cooled to room temperature
- •4 lightly packed cups crisp greens, like shredded romaine
- •Briny black or green olives
- 1. Break the garlic head apart into individual cloves, but don’t peel them. Place them in a cast-iron or other heavy skillet and dry-roast over...