Recipe: Cactus Berry
Summary: Don’t be afraid: The Cactus Berry (a cousin of the margarita that’s taken a trip into a winery) doesn’t involve any small piercing thorns that might turn a south-of-the-border soirée into a quick trip to the local first-aid station for cheek stitching. This mix does have a bit of a bite, though, so you’ll want to ensure your safety by doing any sort of hat dancing, attempts at tangoing, or cactus scaling earlier in the evening.
- -3 ounces Merlot
- -3 ounces white tequila
- -1 ½ ounces Cointreau
- -1 ounce fresh lime juice
- -2 lime slices for garnish
- 1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice cubes. Add the Merlot, white tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice. Shake exceedingly well (as if you were shaking cactus thorns from your hands).
- 2. Strain the mix into 2 cocktail glasses. Garnish with the lime slices and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Recipe: Baja-Style Fish Tacos
Summary: This lighter, fresher cousin of the beef taco comes from the Baja peninsula on the Pacific Ocean. Served with a tangy, herby slaw in flour tortillas, a fish taco is delicious with a margarita or a chilled Mexican beer and a wedge of lime.
- NAPA CABBAGE SLAW:
- -2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- -1 cup shredded baby greens, such as escarole, oak leaf lettuce, spinach, or Bibb lettuce
- -6 scallions, finely chopped (white parts with some of the green)
- -¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- -¼ cup sour cream
- -Juice of 2 lemons
- -½ teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- -1 ½ pounds halibut, red snapper, or orange roughy fillets, with skin on Olive oil
- -2 to 3 tablespoons Spicy Lemon Pepper Rub (see below)
- -8 flour tortillas, warmed
- -Lemon wedges for serving
- -1 1⁄2 cups prepared salsa of your choice, for serving
- 1. Prepare a hot fire in a grill. Oil the grill grate or a perforated grill rack.
- 2. To make...
Recipe: Frozen Margarita Mousse
Summary: This is a light and lovely summer dessert. Garnish with fresh raspberries or mandarin orange slices for a beautiful presentation. If you’d like, you can spoon it into margarita glasses rimmed with salt (or sugar, if you prefer) and refrigerate for several hours rather than freezing. In that case, garnish each with a twist of lime.
- -1 envelope unflavored gelatin 3 tablespoons cold water
- -¾ cup sugar
- -½ cup fresh lime juice
- -¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- -2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- -¼ cup tequila
- -2 tablespoons triple sec
- -1 ½ cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and let soften for 2 minutes.
- 2. Combine the sugar and citrus juices in a medium-size heavy sauce- pan over medium heat and cook, stirring a few times, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and whisk in the...
Recipe: Gazpacho Juice
Summary: This juice tastes like salsa in a glass—but without the spice. Feel free to add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce for those who like a little kick. You will find yourself craving tortilla chips to munch alongside this drink. Makes 15 to 20 ounces
- •2 medium tomatoes
- •1 medium cucumber
- •1 large red bell pepper
- •1 medium lime
- •1/2 small red onion
- •2 handfuls fresh cilantro
- 1. Core the tomatoes. Trim the cucumber. Core and seed the pepper. Peel the lime, if desired.
- 2. Juice the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, lime, onion, and cilantro according to the directions on your juicing machine. Whisk to combine.
- 3. Add water to taste if you or your children prefer a milder juice.