Recipe: Box Office Brownies
Summary: While these brownies don’t include buttered popcorn, movie buffs and candy lovers will appreciate this treat that’s made with the boxed candy found at movie theater concessions. Pack them up in a food-safe tin and send them with a pair of movie passes or some DVDs of past Oscar winners. They will keep for 5 days.
- -8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- -4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- -1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- -1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- -2 large eggs, at room temperature
- -1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- -1 cup all-purpose flour
- -2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- -1⁄4 cup chocolate-covered raisins
- -1⁄4 cup chocolate-covered peanuts
- -1⁄4 cup nonpareil-coated chocolates
- -1⁄4 cup candy-coated peanut butter candy pieces
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square pan or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2. Put the butter and chocolate in a medium-size heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water and melt the ingredients together, stirring...
Recipe: Saffron Margarita
Summary: What a big difference the reddish-orange wisps of saffron make in this drink, suffusing an already delicious cocktail with an indescribable exotic flair. If you cannot find fresh mango, look for frozen mango puree in your supermarket freezer section.
- • 1 1⁄2 ounces organic tequila (either blanco or reposado)
- • 1⁄2 ounce Cointreau
- • 1⁄2 ounce freshly squeezed organic lime juice
- • 1 1⁄2 ounces organic mango puree (from about a handful of peeled mango chunks)
- • 1 teaspoon organic agave nectar
- • Pinch of organic saffron threads
- • Kosher salt
- • 1 thin slice organic lime (optional)
- Combine the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, mango puree, agave nectar, and saffron in an ice cube–filled cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously, then strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass with a salted rim; the threads of saffron will float in the drink. For extra color, garnish with a lime slice on the rim of the glass,...
Recipe: Lovers’ Hot Chocolate
Summary: Amaretto is the Italian liqueur of love, and it blends beautifully with chocolate and coffee, both of which are in this drink, an offering to the senses. Use a richly flavored chocolate ice cream here.
- -1 ounce crème de cacao
- -1 ounce amaretto
- -1 1⁄2 cups hot brewed coffee
- -4 tablespoons chocolate ice cream
- -8 pecan halves, chopped, for garnish
- Divide the crème de cacao, amaretto, and coffee between 2 Irish coffee glasses, stirring to blend. Top each with 2 tablespoons of the ice cream and half of the chopped pecans. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Click here to download a free Valentine’s Day card!
From cupcakes and Bundt cakes to whoopie pies and rocky road pies, Red Velvet Lover’s Cookbook has all of the ideas you need for adding a red velvet touch to your favorite breakfasts and treats– just in time for Valentine’s Day!
These homemade truffles may look intimidating, but preparing them is much easier than you’d expect, AND they make for a much more thoughtful gift over store-bought chocolates. Their smooth centers are rolled in cocoa powder, making for a special and impressive treat. Wrap them individually and tie with ribbon, or layer them with fluted paper cups in a gift box!
Recipe: Red Velvet Truffles
- • 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- • 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- • ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- • ½ teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- • ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1. Combine the white chocolate and semisweet chocolate in a microwave-safe...