Recipe: Green Bean Casserole Revisited
Summary: The sauce, made with vegan cream cheese, is very rich and can be made with white beans or tofu if you prefer. You can top the casserole with canned fried onions as a nod to the original or use toasted bread crumbs instead. For added flavor, stir half of the fried onions into the cooked casserole, and use the rest as the topping. For gluten-free, omit the fried onions or bread crumbs and top with 1⁄4 cup ground toasted walnuts or almonds. Be sure to use a soy-free vegan cream cheese to make this casserole soy-free.
- • 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- • 2 garlic cloves, minced
- • 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, purchased or homemade
- • 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- • 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- • 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1 1⁄2 pounds green beans, trimmed and...
Recipe: Pumpkin-Rum Couscous Cake
Summary: This unusual no-bake cake has a moist texture similar to that of bread pudding, but it is made in a springform pan and is cut into wedges like a cheesecake.
- • 3⁄4 cup canned solid-pack or pure pumpkin puree
- • 1⁄2 cup natural sugar
- • 2 tablespoons rum 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- • 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- • 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- • Pinch of salt
- • 1 cup instant couscous
- 1. In a food processor, combine the pumpkin, 1⁄4 cup of the sugar, the rum, and vanilla until smooth. Add the spices and blend thoroughly until well combined. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium-size saucepan, combine the apple juice, remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the couscous. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, turn off the heat, and...
Recipe: Chipotle Mashed Potatoes
Summary: Pureed chipotle chiles add a smoky heat to these mashed potatoes, which can liven up the most basic meal. I like to serve them with a vegan meatloaf or grilled seitan and sautéed greens.
- • 2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- • 1 or 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced
- • 1⁄3 cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk, heated
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • Salt
- 1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with cold salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Drain the potatoes, return them to the saucepan, and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the chipotle chiles, nondairy milk, olive oil, and salt to taste. Continue to mash until all of the ingredients are well mixed and the potatoes are smooth. Serve hot.
Diet type: Vegan
Recipe: Chocolate to the Fifth Power
Summary: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate: this adult hot chocolate will fill you with soothing tastes and relaxing feelings. It is a chocoholic’s perfect after-dinner drink. You might want to cut the recipe in half and share it with someone very special.
- • 2 cups whole chocolate milk
- • Four 1.55-ounce milk chocolate bars, broken into chunks
- • 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- • 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- • 4 tablespoons crème de cacao
- • 4 tablespoons Godiva chocolate liqueur
- • Marshmallows for garnish
- 1. Pour the chocolate milk into a medium-size saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to just under a boil; look for small bubbles on the sides of the pan.
- 2. Whisk in the chocolate until smooth. Whisk the cocoa powder into the mixture until smooth, then whisk in the arrowroot. Stir in the crème de cacao and Godiva liqueur.
- 3. Pour into 4 mugs...