Recipe: Spiced Cider Smoothie
Summary: In the cold weather months I like to make a big batch of spiced cider to have on hand when my family needs to warm up after being out in the cold. I’ve discovered that the kids love this icy-cold version of their favorite spiced cider in the hot summer months! Makes 4 (9-ounce) servings
- • 3 cups apple cider
- • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- • 2 cups ice cubes
- 1. Pour the apple cider into a blender. Add the pumpkin pie spice.
- 2. Top with the ice and blend until smooth.
Recipe: Candy Corn Smoothie
Summary: When October hits, it’s all about candy corn in our house. With three layers—banana topped by mango-carrot topped by pineapple—this smoothie looks like candy corn, but it’s much healthier. Serve it in clear cups so the kids can see the layers. Makes 4 (9-ounce) servings
- • 1/2 cup milk
- • 1 frozen underripe banana
- • 3/4 cup carrot juice
- • 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- • 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- • 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1. Place 4 clear cups in the freezer.
- 2. Pour the milk into a blender. Slice the banana and add it to the blender. Blend until smooth. Remove the cups from the freezer and spoon the banana mixture evenly into the bottom of each of the cups. Return the cups to the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Rinse out the blender. Pour in the carrot juice. Add the mangoes and blend until smooth. Take the...
Recipe: Lavender Ice Cream
Summary: Surrounding the town of Grasse, in the hills above Nice in the south of France, vast fields of lavender saturate the air with their perfume in June, when the flowers are in bloom. The utterly intoxicating aroma can be enjoyed in California now, too. Matanzas Creek Winery in southeastern Santa Rosa, in Sonoma County, and the Bonny Doon Lavender Farm in the tiny town of Bonny Doon, in Santa Cruz County, both have vast lavender fields that bloom in the late spring and early summer. Bonny Doon Lavender Farm is not open to the public, but Matanzas Creek is open daily, and celebrates its lavender with a festival each year in June. The winery sells a variety of lavender products, including culinary- grade lavender, lavender spice mixtures, and lavender tea.
- • 6 cups half-and-half
- • 3⁄4 cup culinary lavender flowers, available in health food stores and natural...
Recipe: Wine Country Beef Fajitas
Summary: These sweet and savory fajitas deviate from traditional Mexican fare, as Cal-Mex foods often do, with apple juice and red wine contributing sweet and fruity elements.
- • 1 1⁄2 cups fruity red wine, such as zinfandel
- • 1 cup apple juice
- • Juice of 1 lemon
- • 1⁄4 cup sugar
- • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- • Pinch of fresh-grated nutmeg
- • Pinch of crushed red pepper
- • 2 medium yellow onions, cut length-wise in half
- • 1 1⁄2 pounds skirt steak
- • 12 corn tortillas
- • 1 recipe Smoky Corn Salsa (recipe follows)
- • 6 sprigs of cilantro
- • 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1. Combine the wine, apple juice, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, nutmeg, red pepper, and onions in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool. Cut the skirt steak into 4-inch-wide pieces, place them in a shallow dish, and...