Recipe: Soothing and Relaxing Green Tea
Summary: This aromatic tea has been known to bring relaxation and a sense of calm to all who drink it. It is an excellent choice for a lazy Sunday morning spent catching up with the newspaper or for winding down after a long walk.
- 2 tablespoons (8 grams) medium-size loose-leaf green tea or 4 green tea bags
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 slices peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups boiling water
- Sugar or honey to taste (optional)
- 1. Put the tea leaves or tea bags into a prewarmed large teapot and set aside.
- 2. Place the lemon zest and ginger in a 4-cup heatproof measuring cup and add the boiling water. Using the back of a spoon, press the pieces of ginger against the side of the measuring cup to release their juice, then let them infuse for 2 minutes.
- 3. Quickly pour the infusion into the teapot, straining carefully to prevent...
Recipe: Sicilian Spaghetti with Pan-Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into large florets
- 1 ⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 ⁄4 cup raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 ⁄3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish (omit for vegan)
- 1. Bring a very large pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil and warm your serving bowls in a low (200°F) oven. Add the cauliflower, boil for 5 minutes, then transfer to a colander with a slotted spoon and allow it to drain for a few minutes (leave the boiling water on the stove to use for the...
Recipe: Flash-Grilled Chicken Breasts with Orange–Maple Syrup Sauce
- Juice of 2 freshly squeezed oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, halved lengthwise to make 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh orange slices for garnish
- 1. To make the sauce, combine the orange juice, orange zest, and maple syrup in a bowl. Stir until well blended and reserve for later.
- 2. Brush each breast with the olive oil, followed by a sprinkling of the thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Put the chicken in a gallon-size zipper-top plastic freezer bag, press the air out, and seal it. Place on a cutting board and roll a rolling pin over the chicken to flatten to about a 1⁄2-inch thickness.
- 3. Fill a charcoal chimney with briquets, set the chimney on...
Recipe: Coconut-Toffee Blondies
Summary: Blondies are brownies of a different color with a butterscotch-like flavor. These sweet bars are chunky with nuts, coconut, and toffee chips. I adapted this recipe from one in The American Century Cookbook (Clarkson Potter Publishers, 1997), by Jean Anderson.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄ 4 cup (1⁄ 2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄ 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄ 2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄ 2 cup toffee baking chips
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt onto a plate and set aside. Place the butter in a large saucepan over low heat and melt gently. When the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and...