Savory Spinach Pâté with Garlic and Pine NutsWednesday August 24, 2011
The flavor of this pâté is reminiscent of spanakopita, without the filo pastry. It can be served whole with crackers for spreading or sliced and plated to serve as the first course of a meal.
Slow Cooker Size: 6 quart
Cook Time: 4 hours
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe: Savory Spinach Pâté with Garlic and Pine Nuts
- One 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups slow-cooked or one 15.5-ounce can cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dillweed, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Cook the spinach according to the package directions. Drain very well to remove excess water from the spinach, squeeze dry in a clean dish towel, and set aside.
- 2. Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and cook until any remaining moisture evaporates.
- 3. In a food processor, combine the spinach mixture, tofu, beans, pine nuts, lemon juice, dillweed, and salt and pepper to taste, and process until smooth.
- 4. Lightly oil a small loaf pan or 7-inch springform pan (depending on the shape of your slow cooker). Spoon the pâté mixture inside, pack it in, and smooth the top. Cover with aluminum foil, making several holes in the foil for steam to escape. Place the pan on a rack or trivet that has been set inside a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour an inch of water into the bottom of the cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours.
- 5. Remove from the slow cooker and let cool completely before removing from pan. Refrigerate for at least several hours or overnight before serving. Serve cool or at room temperature.
Diet type: Vegetarian